Google “Suggest” is one of the 40 search quality updates Google implemented last month.
5. More locally relevant predictions in YouTube. [project codename “Suggest”] We’ve improved the ranking for predictions in YouTube to provide more locally relevant queries. For example, for the query [lady gaga in ] performed on the US version of YouTube, we might predict [lady gaga in times square], but for the same search performed on the Indian version of YouTube, we might predict [lady gaga in India].
Suggesting queries as you are typing in the query box has two main purposes
- For you, the searcher, it can save you time, as you may see the full search query displayed among the suggestions as you type.
- It helps Google direct searchers towards the more popular search queries, which are the “suggestions” it gives.
It is likely that if you see something close to what you started to type, you’ll click on it rather than complete your originally intended query. If you fail to see helpful suggestions, you’ll complete your own query.
Now the suggestions for YouTube will have a local component, and serve up suggestions that are more relevant based on the location Google believes you to be searching from. More relevant suggestions means there is more chance that you will click on one, and that is what Google would like you to do.
- No. 10: Improved ranking for queries using “site:” operator – Google’s 40 Search Quality Updates
- Holiday Shopping Search Engine Comparison Blues
- Simple SEO Tips for Business Owners
- No. 3: Less Duplication in Expanded Sitelinks – Google’s 40 Search Quality Updates
- Google Adwords Express Review – Is it Right For Your Business?