It took me a while to figure out the cause of this problem, so I thought I’d share it in case it saves someone else some time. I could only get the module to display to a position in my Joomla template when setting the menu assignment to “On All Pages.”
When I set it for “Only on the pages selected,” which is what I needed, the module would not be displayed.
I tried everything, including turning off sh404sef url rewriting, and nothing solved the problem. A lot of posts, however mentioned that the wrong item ID in the URL was often the culprit. Searching in that vein, I found a post in the Joomla Forums that directed me to the solution on the Anything Digital (sh404sef) website.
Here’s what I did:
1) Go to the Menu Manager and find the ID of the menu item of the page you are trying to publish the module on (this is Itemid in the URL string).
2) Go to the URL Manager in sh404sef, and find the URL of the page you are trying to publish the module to.
3) If this URL has duplicates, as indicated by an orange circle in the screen grab above, you are in luck, because this fix might work for you. Click on the orange circle showing the number of duplicates.
4) Find the duplicate that has and Itemid that matches the menu item ID you recorded for the page, and set that as the main URL by clicking the star, or selecting the box and clicking “Make Main.”
Refresh the page in question and you should be done. If that helped, let me know!