Google search engine ranking and results pages
Google continually rolled out major changes throughout the year that changed the landscape of their search results pages.
- The space for organic results was enormously reduced, cutting the opportunity for “free” traffic.
- Google Penguin changed the way incoming links (back links) to a website effect ranking. This set of changes alone destroyed many websites and blogs. Keywords in anchor text are now penalized and many sites that were promoted for years using that standard technique had a distinct disadvantage over new websites with little or no history or linking.
- Local results with maps began dominating many search results.
- Social Networking became a required aspect of any website promotion campaign.
- Google stepped up it’s obfuscation of the relationship between changes in their algorithm and the ranking of a particular website in a particular search at a given time. This is done to detect and penalize spammers aka people who are trying to improve the rank of their website aka YOU!
The use of mobile devices, particularly tablets and smartphones, made a huge dent in overall traffic. It is no longer advisable to design solely for desktop. Mobile sites are a now a must.
Content Management Systems
The quality of content management systems, particularly Joomla and Worpress made it easier and cheaper for small businesses and individuals to have high quality, professional-looking websites with a high degree of functionality and security.
Despite all of these changes our businesses learn, adapt and grow. Here’s to a happy and prosperous 2013 to you, your business and your family!