I logged onto my 1&1 Internet Control Panel last week and noticed a new category: Marketing Center. One of the items in that category was “Google Webmaster Tools.” “Excellent,” I thought to myself.
The 1&1 Internet Google Webmaster Tools feature consists of an automated script that generates a file called google_sitemap.xml.gz, which is a compressed xml sitemap file, for the selected domain. It also submits it to Google for you.
The sitemap creation dialog gives you the following options to customize your sitemap file:
-File Category Selection
Once submitted you can update your sitemap once a day, and it will be resubmitted through the control panel. That’s about it.
This is a really stripped down version of Google Webmaster Tools. If you are just starting out, and want to get sitemaps up quick and easily, 1 &1’s Google Webmaster Tools feature could be the way to go for you. If you want more control over your sitemap and more detailed information on your sites performance and Google’s indexing of it, I’d recommend opening up a Google Account, and downloading GSiteCrawler sitemap generator.
- Google Sitemaps for Web Design
- Google Webmaster Tools Now Shows Backlinks
- Google Webmaster Tools Shows “Duplicate Title Tags,” With Canonical Tag on WordPress
- Web Guild Presents SEO for Web 2.0, hosted by Google
- No. 10: Improved ranking for queries using “site:” operator – Google’s 40 Search Quality Updates